Saturday 24 February 2018

Yellow background experiment

I often randomly paint sheets of paper to use for my handmade books.  On this occasion I chose a large sheet of Hahnemuhle mixed media bamboo paper, thoroughly wetting the surface then allowing inks to blend together.  My favoured colours are pinks, blues or greens, but for a change I decided that yellow would be the dominant colour.  Once dry, I overprinted with white and tinted gesso using home-made foam stamps, then splattered with gold ink.

A portion of the background paper

I thought this might prove an interesting background for a painting.  I cut out a 9" square and  drew out my subject with a watercolour pencil, glazing with fluid acrylics, both negatively and positively, to render the roses and background.  I am not sure about pink printed dots, but definitely a technique worth further exploration.




No comments:

Post a Comment