Friday 24 June 2016

The Ridgefield pot

My attempt "in the style of ...." was definitely not very successful.  Although Shirley Trevena's work is very bold and colourful, she manages to retain a feeling of watery transluency which I certainly did not achieve.  I never expect to produce anything special at these evening workshops, but I think it is helpful to try out new techniques and styles, as well as see how other participants tackle their chosen subject.  There's always something to learn along the way.

NB: This painting was reworked later, providing a completely different outcome.
See the results here and here in January 2017 entries




One of the library books I have on loan at the moment is Billy Showell's Botanical Painting in Watercolour.  Apart from the glorious paintings of flowers, fruit and vegetables, she gives very clear  information about how she tackles various aspects of her subject.  I think it is the best book on botanical painting that I have read to date and, although I don't anticipate working in such detail myself, there are plenty of tips which I would find useful in my watercolour painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment