Thursday 21 April 2016

Re-using an old painting

Rather than throw failed paintings away, I often cover them with gesso, splash on fluid acrylics and then put them aside for later experimentation. This particular piece was also randomly printed with linocut patterns – the end result didn't look at all promising!


At a recent local art society workshop our theme was based on producing postcard size paintings, so for one of my efforts I chose to use a section of this paper. I was able to position my sketch so the poppy heads coincided with the red areas, then it was a case of subduing the background with several glazes of fluid acrylics and adding a few defining details to the subject itself.  I am uncertain if I will fade out more of the background - I might look at it again in a few days.



Experimental Poppies - 4" x 6" - acrylic

No comments:

Post a Comment